Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Long Weekend

I like Family Day for two reasons:

1. It's a holiday without pomp or ceremony. Just a nice day off of work.
2. I always forget that it's coming, so it's like a surprise long weekend.

Those are also the two reasons why I like Victoria Day.

Early last week, in discussing what we were going to do for Valentine's Day, Avril said, "Afton will watch the kids for us if we take them to her house." They were just kidding, but I took them up on the offer. After work on Friday, Avril and I loaded the boys into the Crapvalier and drove down to Lethbridge, snow be damned.

It turned out that Avril's parents watched the kids instead of Afton, but it's all the same to me. We had an early date in an effort to avoid the dinner crowd at restaurants. We had a late lunch (thus also avoiding the lunch crowd) at the Cheesecake Cafe, and then we went to watch the 4:15 showing of the movie Coraline. After that, we dropped in to visit Afton for a few minutes, and then went to Wal-Mart because we weren't ready to go home yet. I bought Avril a new cordless phone for the house (the one we had sucks) as a present while we were there. We don't usually buy each other presents on Valentine's Day, so I didn't feel bad about buying such an unromantic present.

Avril was sick on Sunday, so she stayed at her parents' house with Alex while Kenny and I headed out to Purple Springs to have family dinner with the Olers, Heningers, and Rasmussens. I had a very nice visit with them. It had been a while since I had last seen the Rasmussens. It was a very nostalgic visit. We did a lot of reminiscing.

We relaxed Monday morning. Avril's parents had two of their granddaughters, Jane and Lucy, staying with them, so Kenny had a lot of fun playing with them. In the early afternoon, we went shopping at Costco with Afton, and then we had lunch at Swiss Chalet before heading home.

I'll try to have some pictures up this evening.

9 comments:

Avril said...

You took pictures??? Shows you how much I was paying attention.

Anonymous said...

sounds nice

J Rock said...

How was Coraline? I heard on the radio that it's really good, but you're the first person I know whose seen it.

Michael MacKenzie said...

Turns out all the pictures were taken on Afton's camera.

Coraline was good. Definitely worth seeing, but not one that I'd buy when it comes out on DVD.

Ephtyn said...

Ok, so I'll send you some pictures to appease the masses

Greg said...

Layla hated Coraline, too scary for her!

Michael MacKenzie said...

No, I wouldn't take Kenny to see Coraline.

Anonymous said...

I tried to comment on your memories blog and got hung up and it wouldn't let me. takethepicklestakethepicklesTAKETHEPICKLES!

Michael MacKenzie said...

The "takethepickles" quote is easily the most awesome thing I have ever said.