Monday, February 9, 2009

25 Things

Mum posted hers on her blog, so I figure I can do the same to mine. I'll also add comments or explanations on each point, just so that you aren't bored by having to read this twice.

1. I once peed on a dead monkey just so that I could say "Yes" if anyone ever asked me if I've peed on a dead monkey.
-No, nobody has ever asked me if I've peed on a dead monkey. Well, except for the companion who convinced me to do it.

2. There's a small dent on my head that I got from falling while running around a coffee table and hitting my head on the corner.
-I am now paranoid about my sons around coffee tables.

3. I had my gallbladder removed in 2004 because of gall stones, and then I had surgery to remove a kidney stone in 2005. (Not as impressive as Mary's streak of abdominal surgery, I know, but I think it's cool.)
-I never felt pain from the gallstone. When I had the kidney stone attack, I went to the doctor, who said, "Yeah, sounds like a kidney stone." However, the ultrasound didn't find a kidney stone. It did find a gallstone, though, which was far away from where the pain happened. The next year, after the gallstone was gone and I was still having stone attacks and blood in my urine, they found the kidney stone using a CT scan.

4. I've seen the inside of my own bladder.
-this was when they were trying to find out why there was blood in my urine, which eventually lead to the CT scan that discovered the kidney stone.

5. I knew Avril's brother and sister before I knew her. Also, I went to high school with one of her sisters-in-law. In fact, my cousin Neil used to date that particular sister-in-law.
-Avril is seven years younger than me. Her second brother is my age, and he is the one who married the girl that I went to high school with. That's how I met him. Her older sister was friends with Noah, and we were in the same singles ward. It is through her that I met Avril.

6. I was less confident as an attractive 18-year-old B student than I was as a fat, bespectacled 25-year-old college drop-out.
-It's amazing what a mission and an engagement (albeit a failed engagement) will do to a guy's confidence.

7. I'm the fifth child of seven, and I'm the second of two sons. Also, my father is the second of two sons. COINCIDENCE?! Yes.
-If this were a fantasy novel, Alex would have formidable magical powers.

8. I was the fourth of my siblings to get married at age 26.
-the first three: Rob, Amy, and Sara.

9. I've been to as many countries as I have States. (Five. Countries: Canada, USA, Taiwan, China, Philippines. States: Maine, Montana, California, Utah, Colorado.)
-Mary says I've been to New York state. Is that true?

10. Of the places listed in #9, I was only in the airport for the following: Taiwan, China, Colorado.
-All very nice airports.

11. By the time Kenny is three years old, he will have lived in six different places.
-Where will the sixth place be? Tune in for more details. (I hope it's Picture Butte.)

12. Someone once robbed me at gunpoint at the motel I worked at a couple of years ago.
-turned out to be a fake gun. And good news: she's probably out of prison now!

13. Someone once threatened to kill me with a ballpoint pen at the other motel I worked at a couple of years ago.
-"Did I just hear you on the radio?" was the first thing he said to me. Three months in prison.

14. I don't like working at motels.
-And not just because of the constant threats on my life.

15. I once tried to teach myself Korean because my boss kept speaking Korean. I got bored after a week.
-Anyong ha seyo.

16. I own three video game consoles. (PS2, XBox 360, Wii)
-Technically, the Wii belongs to Avril.

17. I bought a deep fat fryer and an exercise bike within weeks of each other.
-One makes me fat, the other makes me not-so-fat.

18. I've eaten more beef jerky in the last few months than I have in my whole life up until a few months ago.
-It might be true. I haven't kept detailed records of my beef jerky consumption.

19. I am sometimes prone to exaggeration.
-Like when I talk about how much beef jerky I've been eating lately.

20. I own 22 different Superman DVDs. (NOTE: Even though it follows the exaggeration comment, this one is not an exaggeration.)
-And there are lots more still to be had.

21. A mutual friend wanted Heidi Bialik (who later married my cousin/best friend) and me to date each other despite the fact that, at the time, she was 17 and I was 25.
-I had a rule in my last couple years of singlehood: no dating anyone younger than Emily.

22. I go through a beard-goatee-beardless cycle about three times a year. Right now I'm in the goatee phase.
-Avril likes my goatee face the best. If I was significantly thinner, I'd be clean-shaven all the time. Facial hair masks my double chin.

23. I didn't own a cellphone until last year.
-Useful tools, but I hate cellphone culture.

24. I had nine ingrown toenail surgeries on my mission. All on the same toe. The last one, which was also the most drastic one, was on my 22nd birthday.
-The first three surgeries were done by the mission president's wife at the back of the chapel after zone conference.

25. Once a saw a blimp.
-I don't think anyone caught this Simpsons quote. Larry Burns (voiced by Rodney Dangerfield) said it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you read my blog, Mike?

Michael MacKenzie said...

Yes. In fact, I just commented on your latest post mere minutes ago.

Anonymous said...

I just can't get my beard to grow in over my double chin.

Pat MacKenzie said...

Ditto JQ. I've got the double chin and am working on the beard. BTW Mike, it's the 7th son of a 7th son that has special magical properties. 2nd sons are a dime a dozen! Sorry.