Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas


I celebrated my first Christmas in 1978, and now here I am in 2008. It has been a good Christmas. No early morning trips to the hospital this year. We spent it at home alone for the first time since we got married. Very nice. One young child and a baby are mayhem enough for one day.

Anyone who lived with me while I grew up won't be surprised that Christmas starts early in the Mike MacKenzie househould. Alex woke up at 5:45 this morning. Avril got him out of bed to feed him a bottle. Meanwhile, the crying woke Kenny up, and he promptly climbed in bed with me. I made the suggestion that we go see if Santa came, and he was all for that idea. We followed the MacKenzie tradition of opening stockings first, then having bacon and eggs for breakfast before opening the rest of the presents in an orderly manner. We were done opening presents just before 8:00, which was the time we were allowed to open stockings when I was kid.
Like many babies, Alex enjoyed the wrapping paper and ribbons more than the actual presents. His favourite presents (once the ribbons and paper were thrown away) were a stuffed Mickey Mouse from his Auntie Afton, and a ride-on train from his Grandma and Grandpa that Kenny is jealous of. We haven't received presents from Grammie and Papa yet, so we'll see if they can out-do their Laqua counterparts.
Kenny is in train heaven. He got a lot of presents this year, most of which was Thomas-oriented, from tracks to movies to remote-controlled trains. He did get a few non-Thomas gifts, such as Veggie Tales, Hoodwinked, candy, a Curious George book, cars, and candy. His favourite toy is Alex's train, but his new Tidsmouth Sheds track set seems to be a close second.
One of Avril's favourite presents is the new blender I got for her. Don't worry, I got her some pretty things, too, along with a score of books and some movies. As for me, my gifts were mostly movies and video games, but I think my favourite is the second installment of The Dark Tower graphic novel.
I also enjoyed the assembly that was required with Kenny's presents.
I hope all of you had a merry Christmas. I look forward to seeing your blogs about it.

6 comments:

Greg said...

Looks like lots of fun. We enjoyed our family of 4 Christmas too. Its fun to establish your own family traditions. Did you cook a turkey again?

Michael MacKenzie said...

No, we decided to have roast beef.

Pat MacKenzie said...

Looks like you had a good time. I miss the tradition of Mike on the couch with the Christmas tree lights on waiting for everyone else to wake up.

Anonymous said...

There was a talk in church on Sunday on celebrating Christmas is the Philippines. Made me wonder what that must've been like for a Western Christmas junkie comme toi-meme.

Michael MacKenzie said...

I was kind of depressed on my one Christmas in the Philippines. After talking to the family on the phone in the morning, I just bummed around the zone leaders' house for most of the day. In the afternoon, my companion and I got hungry, so we went out in the pouring rain and found an open Big Mak burger stand and had some really crappy burgers.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, our Phillipina sister doesn't celebrate it like that.