Thursday, October 16, 2008

Thanksgiving


This year was the first time that Avril and I spent Thanksgiving on our own instead of going to visit my family or her family. It was a very relaxed, enjoyable experience. Kenny insisted on helping in every aspect of preparing the meal. He especially helped me a lot making the death by chocolate for dessert.

Alex enjoyed the mashed potatoes, and I also fed him some Gerber's vegetable and turkey baby food. Kenny's favourite part of the meal was the sweet potatoes, probably because of the marshmallows on top. My favourite part was the turkey sandwiches that I'm still enjoying. I also enjoyed the stuffing. I made Mum's stuffing recipe, and I got to keep it all to myself instead of fighting over it with a dozen or so people. Avril doesn't like stuffing, and Kenny wasn't all that interested in it.

It would have been nice to see my family. I saw the photos of the Lloyd MacKenzie family Thanksgiving on Mum's blog and thought that it looked like a nice gathering. On the other hand, it was nice to stay home and relax with only two kids to liven things up.

3 comments:

Pat MacKenzie said...

It's always nice to have your own time and traditions. We stopped going to family (your dad's) when Amy was a baby - the trip from Prince George to Cardston/Lethbridge was just not worth it. We've always done our own thing. It's nice to have everyone together once in awhile though, but mealtimes are a logistical nightmare.

Anonymous said...

mmm, death by chocolate. how can anyone not like stuffing? that's weird.

Anonymous said...

Once you go solo, you never go back.