Thursday, November 13, 2008

Orange or Marmalade

My experience at the downtown Edmonton Swiss Chalet drive-thru reminded me of a story that one of the elders on my mission told me. To get to the Philippines, we flew Eva Airlines, which is based out of Taiwan. So, of course, all of the flight attendants were from Taiwan and thus spoke Mandarin. They knew enough English to function as flight attendants on an international airline, but it was heavily accented. This particular elder, whose name escapes me for the moment, was being served breakfast near the end of the 14-hour flight across the Pacific Ocean. The flight attendant said something that Elder Whosit heard as "Orange or marmalade?"

"Um...Orange?" he said.

The flight attendant repeated what she had said.

"Marmalade?" the elder said.

Obviously flustered, the flight attendant repeated herself a third time and finally got across what she meant. She was asking if he want porridge or omelet.

I was thinking about this because I thought the girl in the drive-thru was asking if I wanted chipotle ketchup when she was asking if I wanted utensils and ketchup.

5 comments:

Michael MacKenzie said...

Gunderson. It was Elder Gunderson.

Anonymous said...

mmm chipotle ketchup

Michael MacKenzie said...

Did I say Gunderson? I meant Gummersoll.

Pat MacKenzie said...

International flights are so much fun!

Anonymous said...

I know that girl! She's so sweet, but why is she on drive thru with such a terrible grasp of English? I always have to be the one driving because Allan will just say "yes" to everyone and then who knows what we'll get