Monday, November 17, 2008

It's All My Fault


So I went to church yesterday, and all anyone could talk to me about was "my" curfew by-law. Apparently, while I was in Edmonton, this was front-page news for the Three Hills Capital. I went out and bought a copy and was a little disturbed to read this sentence from the first paragraph of the article: "The entire by-law was developed and put together by the Town's municipal intern--Mike MacKenzie." As if it was my idea and my decision to pass the by-law. A glaring omission from the sentence was this phrase: "under the direction of the Town Council." Yes, I researched the curfew by-laws of other towns in Alberta. Yes, I wrote the by-law. Why? Because they told me to. I'm an administrator. It's my job to carry out the wishes of Council. They're the ones who told me to make the penalties harsher. They're the ones who voted unanimously to enact the by-law. Thankfully, the local nogoodnik teenagers have no clue who I am, and they probably don't have the smarts and the will to look through past issues of the paper to find my picture.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA! Mikey's the Man! And after you lied to the Raymond RCMP and everything...

Anonymous said...

so were the church people for or against "your" bylaw?

Michael MacKenzie said...

For.

Anonymous said...

Either Three Hills is a really quiet community or it's not and Anders' judicial district.

Greg said...

I always wondered what you did.

Pat MacKenzie said...

The life of a civil servant isn't always easy! Nice of the Council to make sure you took the flack.

Melissa said...

thats funny! So did you get egged?? TP'ed?