Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Getting There

Sorry I haven't been updating this blog much lately. Things have been excessively busy over the past two weeks. But hey, I updated hyperblogianism twice and Memories of the '90s once, so you haven't been completely out of my loop if you've been following those blogs.
See how tired I am because of all the busy-ness? I hate napping, yet there I am, falling asleep on the couch with a baby on my lap.

We're in full renovations mode. As of this morning, the main floor of our house is officially painted. Every wall, even the bathroom and closets, and we painted the kitchen cabinets, too. I also stained the deck. We're going to paint every wall in the basement, too. This evening, we painted the feature wall in Kenny's room. We let him pick the colour: dark purple. Kenny was eager to help, and Alex even started helping by the time we got to painting his room.



















The people we bought our floors from are coming tomorrow to install new linoleum in the main floor bathroom and the stairs. Our laminate should be arriving any day now (they had to order it from Calgary), and Don Laqua will be installing it for us.

My new job is coming along well. People take me more seriously now that I'm an Assistant Municipal Administrator rather than a lowly Municipal Intern. It's always interesting to get to know a new town staff and a new town council. The Sunny South News will be interviewing me tomorrow, and there will be a little write-up about me in next weeks paper. I hope they don't ask me where I'm from, because I always have such a hard time answering that question succinctly.

On Saturday, Avril and the boys went out to the Laqua's cabin in the Crowsnest Pass to visit her parents and her sister. I was feeling a little under the weather, so I stayed home to stain the deck, mow the lawn, and play video games. Kenny went fishing for the first time. He and Grampa have been planning this for weeks, and he has been very excited about it. He caught three fish in half an hour. Not bad for a rookie.
He named all three fish. Then he ate them.
Alex enjoyed the cabin, too. He has been able to walk since a couple of weeks before his first birthday, but it hasn't been until this past week that walking has become his preferred mode of transportation. He's getting much better at it, and he's getting close to being able to run.

That should about bring you up to speed. I'm saving all of the after pictures of house until we at least have the new floors installed.

7 comments:

seashmore said...

What, no pictures of the face stain?

Pat MacKenzie said...

Glad you're getting your house spruced up - can't say I'm impressed with Kenny's color choice though! He looks so big now. Dad and Rob will be painting our Lethbridge house on Saturday if you're still in the painting mode and want to have a men's day!!!

sara said...

can't wait to see it!
kenny's room looks blue on my monitor

Michael MacKenzie said...

The picture of Kenny painting is in the kitchen, and it is indeed blue. I don't have any pictures of Kenny's room yet. And sorry, Sally, my camera was full when I had the face stain.

Greg said...

I didn't know the Laquas had a cabin..we just drove through the Crowsnest Pass, that is such a beautiful area! Sounds like you've really had your hand full lately, it will all be worth it soon.

JQ said...

My kids think you're funny.

Michael MacKenzie said...

Of course they do; I'm funny.